Saturday, February 10, 2007

A Taste of Kaos Part 2

A Taste of Kaos Part 2

For Jan, feel better hon, Shar, Tasha, Ro, and Caye. Hugs to you all.

Chapter 1

Chrysalis Kelly stood in her Grandmother’s kitchen, watching her cousin Marissa Lewis stir the mix for brownies. Her Grandmother was making trifle and trying to tell a story to her Aunt Jeannie and her daughter, Cousin Samantha.


“That whore . . .”

“Mum, Samantha’s in the room!” Jeannie hissed.

“What? She’s going to have to learn that word sometime. Anyway you’re interrupting my story, so shush!”

Jeannie shook her head and continued to break up chocolate.


“Where was I? Oh, yes that gutter snipe from the pit of Hades!”

“Gram!” Chrysalis groaned, as she shook her head.

“What? She’ll have to get use to my colorful turn of phrase, so you can shush little Irish. Now where was I? Oh yes! Anyway, we’re standing at the checkout and what?”

“Shouldn’t there be fruit in that trifle mum?” Jeannie remarked.

“No, it’s my trifle dammit and I’m going to do it how I want.”

Chrys, Marissa, Jeannie and Samantha all watched in shock as Sharon Vivienne Kelly poured a large dose of Sherry into the glass dessert bowl.


“Whew, Gram what proof is that Sherry? I think I’m getting drunk, just from the fumes.” Chrys waved away the scent of Sherry and Chocolate, as her Grandmother continued pouring the liquor over the chocolate cake. Gram stopped for a moment and thought.

“What is the highest proof for sherry?”

Everyone groaned.

“What?”

“Just continue with your story Gram.”

Jeannie rushed over to the window and opened it. Fresh air streamed into the room; along with the smell of fresh cut grass. Grandpa Luke Kelly’s pipe tobacco filled the air, weakening the smell of the sherry.


“Oh yes, anyway, so the mad cow started going on and on about how her daughter, Irene, was all virtuous and pure. Ha, that ninny wouldn’t know virtuous or pure if it came up and bit her on the arse.”

“Why was she bragging about Irene, Gram? Hmm I mean Irene had that pregnancy scare last year didn’t she?”

“Exactly! She was running around town with as many men as she could drop her drawers for. If she had been pregnant, she would have undoubtedly had a ‘whose the daddy’ moment. Anyway, do you want to know what set her off this time?”


Everyone, with the exception of Marissa, knew that if they didn’t say ‘yes’, then Gram would annoy them until she got to tell her story. They all nodded and Gram smiled.

“Because our dear Butterfly here was linked to that handsome American Football player, what’s his name? Doug something or other.”

“Doug Stormer, Gram.”

“Ah yes, Doug Stormer. It’s too bad he’s taken. Anyway, she was carrying on about how it was disgraceful for a woman to flaunt her relationship. So I told her that it was even more of a disgraceful to have daughter who slept with so many men, that she couldn’t keep track of their names. Well that witch refused to give up, saying that our Chrys should be ashamed for not being married at her age.” Gram rolled her eyes.


“As though you’re washed up and in spinster hell at 26. I said, if my Butterfly should be ashamed then her Irene should be appalled, being 30 and carrying on like a bitch in heat. You should have seen her face. It got so red. She had the rage on her that I swear, she started puffing up like a bullfrog.” Gram started giggling like mad.


One of Gram’s joys in life is making Mrs. Catherine O’Reilly’s life miserable. The family gossip was that Grandpa had been dating Gram and Mrs. O’Reilly. Catherine Smythe, that was, had had her eye on Grandpa Luke and wanted to steal him away. She even went so far as to claim that she was pregnant by him. Gram soon nipped it in the bud and Catherine was forced to marry Jerry O’Reilly. Although Jerry was rich and she lived a comfortable life, Catherine never forgave Gram for marrying Grandpa.


“Okay Mum, that’s enough Sherry for you. ….MUM! Put down that bottle, you’re not supposed to drink it!”

“Why not?” Gram wiped away some Sherry from her lips.

“Because it’s cooking Sherry! Give me that!” Jeannie grabbed the bottle and headed for the pantry with it.


As soon as she was out of earshot, “I swear I don’t know where I went wrong with that one. She won’t even let me wear two-inch heels; swears I’ll break an ankle. Bah! Now are we going to have a Sex in the City Marathon tonight? We need to celebrate my two angels coming home.”

Gram smiled at both Marissa and Chrys.

“Okay, but if you start going word for word on the dialogue, we’re going to have to watch something else.”


“Okay luv. Oh Marissa sweetie, easy does it. Now it’s time to pour the mixture. I’ll help you. Sammy, watch the door. Don’t want your mother coming back and claiming I’ll break a hip or something, just for lifting a bowl.”

Samantha scooted off the stool and headed for the door. Gram and Marissa lifted the heavy mixing bowl and started to pour the brownie mix into the baking pans. Once that was done, they slid the pans into the oven.

“There now, that’s for the clean up and then we start on dinner. Who wants beef stew?”

“Oh, oh; I do, Gram. I want to help. Where are the potatoes?” Chrys exclaimed, she shrugged off her sweater and pushed up her sleeves. Gram laughed.

“That’s my butterfly. They’re in the usual place. Marissa darlin’, go sit at the table and relax.” She sighed.

“It’s so nice to have my family back together. Now, if only your silly father would introduce me to this ebony goddess he’s dating then, I’d be really happy.”


Chase Kelly took that moment to walk into the kitchen. On hearing what his mother said, he turned around and walked right back out. Everyone laughed.

“What did I miss?” Jeannie asked as she came into the kitchen.

“Nothing dear! Go get the carrots. We’re making beef stew.”

The buzz of activity in the kitchen increased, as everyone started preparing ingredients for the stew. Marissa couldn’t help but feel like she was home. Chrys couldn’t help but feel it was good to be home.

3 comments:

Jan said...

Sweetie, Thanks for the dedication and your good wishes!

As you know, I really enjoy working on your stories. It's a treat, that I treasure. Thanks Hun for the opportunity.

Anonymous said...

Gram!!! is a trip. I think I like her! She is going to make this interesting.

Ljay

Anonymous said...

Oh I forgot to add...I like the new look! Chocoholic here!

Ljay