Thursday, December 21, 2006

A Taste of Kaos Chapter 12

Thanks Jan. Happy Holidays everyone, this one is dedicated to you!

Chapter 12

Dad? That man was her father? He was taller than she was. He had reddish blond hair, blue green eyes and porcelain skin. Anger engulfed him.

Chrys’ face paled. She looked guilty. “Dad . . . I . . .?

She didn’t get to finish. “Chrysalis Honor Darina Kelly you get your arse to the car this instant! Move it young lady! Get a wriggle on now!”

He was seething, and it was evident to all. Chrys looked as though she was about to cry. Her shoulders slumped. Without a backward glance, she headed toward the door of the restaurant. The spectators looked on in surprise. The Queen Bitch had just been brought to heel by ‘daddy’.

Her father turned toward the table. His eyes narrowed. They zeroed in on Vasili.

“Vasya, I expected you to have controlled this fracas! Why would you permit this public slanging match? I thought you’d have better sense?

Vasya opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out. Kaos decided to intervene. After all, he had provoked her.

“I’m sorry sir. I started this row.” Chase Kelly looked at Kaos, and then shook his head.

Without a word, he turned around, walked over to the counter, paid for his lunch and walked out.

Kaos felt horrible. His need to push Chrys had resulted in the trouble she was facing from her dad.

* * * * * *


Chase Kelly got into the car and handed the brown bag to Chrysalis, who put it in her lap. She ignored the heat emanating from the bag. She felt as though she had regressed to being five years old, having been caught with her hand in the biscuit tin before dinner. Only this time, her father was the one meeting out punishment, not her Grammy.

“Dad, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have behaved like a fishwife in public. I know it’s unseemly. You taught me better than that.” Chrys said quietly as she waited for his response.
Chase remained silent for a long time. Chrys thought he wasn’t going to say a word. Eventually, he spoke.
“Yes, little Irish I taught you better than that. You were brought up, not dragged up like some no account! How could you let this individual provoke you like that? Hmm, I have never seen you lose control in that way.”

She opened her mouth to respond, but couldn’t find the words. Instead she mumbled. “I don’t know! He just pushes my buttons.”

Chase laughed and shook his head. She looked over at her father, confused.
“What?”
“What? You don’t know little Irish?”
When she shook her head, he chuckled.
“You’re running little one and I always taught you not to run away, didn’t I?”

Chrys was confused. She was running away? Oh shit! No he didn’t think that . . . did he?
“Daddy no, it’s not like that.”
“Then what is it like then, féileacán?”
Hearing her father speaking in Gaelic comforted her. He wasn’t too mad at her. She looked into his blue-green eyes and saw amusement there.
“You’re going to laugh.”
He shook his head.
“Scouts honor.”
“Dad, you were never a Boy Scout.”
Her father laughed. “Just tell me and be quick about it, my food is gettin’ cold.”

She sighed, took a deep breath and said, “He’s a man-whore!”
Her father’s reaction wasn’t what she expected. He burst out laughing. Chrys looked at her father in horror. She couldn’t get him to stop. He laughed so hard that he was holding his stomach for support. Tears streamed down his face.
“A man-whore. Oh God, that’s a good one. A man-whore!”
He wiped his tears away and continued to chuckle.

“Daaar!” She whined. Chase wouldn’t stop laughing. When he looked over at her again, he roared with renewed merriment.
“I’m getting out of this car, if you don’t stop with the laughin’.”
“Okay, okay little Irish, calm down. Goodness, so sensitive is my little one. Explain to you’re old man what a man-whore is.” He chuckled after saying it, but stopped when he saw the look she gave him. Chrys watched her father try to gather himself. When he seemed to regain control, she proceeded to explain her definition of a man-whore.

“A man whore is something you are not. A man whore is a man who can’t keep it in his pants. That sums up Kaos!”
Her father started to laugh again.
“Oh Lord, this is too funny. Man-whore, that’s so priceless.”
“Daaar!”
Chase tried to get some control.
“Okay, okay. So he can’t keep it in his pants. That doesn’t explain why you’re running from him. Is it because you find him attractive? He is a good looking fellow.”

“Dad, are you trying to play match maker?”
“No, I’m just trying to point out, that the reason you got so riled up back there is because you were trying to run from your attraction to that young man….. by fighting with him.”
“Young man? Dad, he’s 41!”
Chase looked over at his daughter in shock.
“He’s 41? He’s far too old for you.”
Chrys giggled. “Are you saying you’re old Daaar?”
“I’m not old, but he’s too close to my age to be dating any daughter of mine!”
“Says the dad who went out with a, how old was she again? Ah yes, she was 28 years old. She’s two years older than me. Remember I’m your daughter who recently turned 26.”

Chrys grinned having made her point, but Chase wasn’t ready to concede just yet.
“But that’s different! Kait isn’t my daughter. You are and you are far too young for him.”
Chrys rolled her eyes. “What? Stop with the 'eye-rollin'. I forbid you to date him.” Chase said indignantly.
She started to laugh uncontrollably.
“Dad, I’m old enough to make my own decisions. Besides, if I can’t date him, not saying I will mind, then you can’t date Kait, on the same principle.”
“Fine then, I won’t date her.”
“Okay, call her and say that your date for tomorrow night is off.”
“How did you know that?”
“Never mind that! Just call her and tell her you’re cancelling your date because you are too old for her! I’ll even give you my phone.”

Chrys dug her phone out of her purse and handed it too him. He seemed too hesitant to take it.
“If I can’t go out with older men then you can’t date younger women.” Chrys declared.
Chase sighed. Chrys had heard firsthand that her dad and Kait had had fun on their first date. Kait had told her that she couldn’t wait for them go out again. Kait also let slip that she was transferring to an agency closer to the city. Chase sighed and Chrys knew she had won.

“All right little Irish, you win this round. But if you do date him, he better be good to you. I mean it. Now get out of the car, my food is cold and I’m grumpy.”
She laughed, leaned over and gave him a kiss on the cheek.
“See you later Grumpy!”

No comments: